Thursday, September 1, 2011

Courage

“Rise up; this matter is in your hands. We will support you, so take courage and do it.” – Ezra 10:4

Is there something in your life that you really love but you’re not, strictly speaking, “good at it”? I’m not going to lie, that goes for... just about everything I enjoy (see; rock climbing, playing guitar, sculpting thirteenth-century marble statues.)

It seems like all my favorite hobbies should be restricted to people who don’t totally suck at them. Unfortunately for those people, and unfortunately for my own safety, I’m not giving up rock climbing anytime soon.

I've seen better days.

Maybe it’s something a little more serious. Maybe you feel like you can’t get past a failure or a shortcoming. Maybe you’ve been through times when you’ve actually had yourself convinced you can’t do anything right. Maybe you're afraid.

No more fear. I want to encourage you, because without encouragement there is no courage.

Encouragement

The word ‘encourage’ literally means to bestow courage upon. I don’t know about you, but I’m not big on the idea of anything being ‘bestowed upon’ me, so I’ll rephrase.

The word ‘encourage’ means to give someone the motivation they need to accomplish what they thought they weren’t capable of doing. Simplify it even more? Okay.

The word ‘encourage’ means to give someone help.

This might seem a little weird seeing as generally we associate courage with being able to do something difficult not only without fear, but also without anyone's assistance. Well, this is just one of those cases in which the general association is wrong.

It seems like I’ve strayed off topic somewhat, but I haven’t! Not completely. Earlier I admitted that some of my favorite hobbies require a certain level of skill that I haven’t quite reached yet (putting it gently.) So why do I keep doing them? Well, partly because of my own courage, but mostly it’s due to the encouragement that I receive.

You Are Courageous!

I’d like to devote the rest of this post to giving you support, even if you don’t want it, because in at least some small way, I’m here for you!

Be brave! Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do something! Absolutely anything is possible, as long as you have the heart to make it happen!

“Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.” – Psalm 31:24

When you feel weak, know that you are strong! You are so much stronger than you think! Whatever mountains you’re facing, I promise you that you can move them!

“I can do all things through him who gives me strength!” – Philippians 4:13

Finally, and most importantly, you are not alone! No matter how tough it gets, remember that we are all in this together! Don’t be afraid to ask for help!

“Do all that you have in mind… Go ahead; I am with you heart and soul.” – 1 Samuel 14:7

P.S. I never go rock climbing alone. I’m incredibly blessed to have amazing friends that I know I can count on. They give me more courage than they will ever know. I think this is one of the most important parts of life and our walk with Christ. Find the right people, and even when you feel like you’re going to fall, you can trust that they’ll be there to belay you. Or laugh when you land on your butt.


-sam

No comments: