Thursday, August 25, 2011

Regret

“Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret” - 2 Corinthians 7:10

Very often when you hear someone say the phrase, “No regrets!” they’re about to do something that’s not very safe, and even more often something that’s not very smart.

“No regrets,” makes me think to myself, “Well that’s dumb. If you have no regrets, then you haven’t learned anything from your past mistakes. You have to be able to look back and recognize what you did wrong so in the future you’ll know how to do it right.”

Let’s say you’re moving. I don’t know why you’d ever want to move away from Texas, but for the sake of this story, you’re some crazy person and you’re leaving for some crazy reason. You’ve got all your most valuable possessions in the trunk of your car. So much of your stuff is jammed in there that it’s all sticking out and isn’t exactly what you would call “secure.”

Keep in mind, that’s all of your worldly possessions. All of your most favorite things could fall out of the trunk and get destroyed at any moment. So you keep checking the rearview mirror as you’re driving.

Consider this; If you keep looking back at what’s behind you, you will almost certainly crash, because you won’t be able to see what’s right in front of you.

Like a canoe.

Originally I believed that carrying no regrets entailed a lifetime of mistakes without a single lesson learned. Now after meditating on this, and after making quite a few more mistakes myself, I’ve come to a sort of revelation. To live life with no regrets means completely, absolutely trusting in God’s plan for you, so much that you don’t regret a single moment. A single hardship. A single trial. Can you imagine the kind of faith something like that would require?

Come to think of it, I heard a story once about a guy who was like that. Absolutely filled with unwavering faith. Right up until his painful, demeaning, torturous end, he never had a single regret about the life he lived and the path he followed, even though he knew it would eventually cause his death. And that man was Jesus. Bam! Bible Surprise!

All joking aside, there’s a whole lot about my life that given the opportunity, I would go back and do differently. But I know that’s just my selfish heart talking. God’s plan is perfect; even a few bumps in the road don’t change where it leads.


“Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight.” - Psalm 119:35

P.S. No regrets.
 

-sam

No comments: