Thursday, February 17, 2011

Running

“The name of the lord is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.” - Proverbs 18:10

Running is awesome. You will rarely find me running, but that’s not because I don’t enjoy it. Running gets your blood pumping, burns calories, and releases endorphins (see below) which makes you feel great.

(This is seriously how I picture endorphins in my brain.)

I would probably run more often, but

A. I prefer riding my bike

Yeah, I make race car noises. So what?

B. When I do run, people riding bikes pass me and I feel like I’m losing to them


C. It makes me feel like I’m being chased by something


These excuses, (while totally valid and understandable and definitely not lame or pathetic) however, are nowhere near enough to keep some people from hitting the path. Some people were just born to run. God blessed them with strong legs and an even stronger heart.

Time to lay off the cardio for a while.

That said, running is just as much about strength of mind as it is strength of body. This is a sport that takes what I believe to be one of the most admirable qualities you can find in a person; determination.

The kind of person who can convince themselves to push beyond their physical limits, to challenge themselves every day to improve, to encourage others by setting an example with their own abilities; someone like that isn’t just running for themselves. They’re running for God. I would feel safe putting faith in a person like that.

“Flee! Run for your lives, become like a bush in the desert.” - Jeremiah 48:6

Wait, bushes can't run...

The reason I included that verse is because I really love the phrase, “Run for your life.” Don’t get me wrong, I know that it means ‘run away, because if you don’t, something is probably going to get you and then in all likelihood going to eat you,’ but I like to think it has more meaning than that.

When I read “run for your life,” it makes me imagine running to God to get to my eternal life.

It’s like God is at the finish line, and He knows how exhausted you are and how hard you worked to get there and He’s just waiting to refresh you and congratulate you and reward you with the greatest prize imaginable: a place at His side in the Kingdom of Heaven.

“I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” - Philippians 3:14

It's a metaphor for Heaven.

God doesn’t care how sweaty and gross you are, or how you almost said a swear word when you stepped in that huge puddle back there (look, you got mud all over your running shoes, and let's be honest, it would be easier to go and spend another $59.99 on a new pair instead of trying to clean that stuff off with an old toothbrush and dish soap, which doesn't even work. Why don't they just invent shoe soap? Or better yet, just un-invent mud puddles?)

God just wants you to keep moving forward and He will give you anything you need to keep you from giving up.

That's supposed to look like purple sweat. My bad.

All you have to do is ask, and God can make the marathon of life seem like a walk in the park.
 
P.S. This post was inspired by one of the coolest people I’ve ever met. Her name is Katie, and not only is she an incredible runner, but an incredible writer. She is doing God’s work every day, and through her running and blogging, she’s doing something really amazing. I strongly, strongly encourage you to check out her blog and support her efforts and her cause here:

http://runningtothewell.blogspot.com/

http://runningtothewell.blogspot.com/

I know I linked it twice, that's just how good it is. It’s way better than mine, so don’t rub it in. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going for a run.

-sam

No comments: