Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Testimony

“And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations” - Matthew 24:14

I almost crashed on the way home. A combination of forgetting how people drive in America and my exhaustion after a week of construction work in Nicaragua made the drive back less than safe.

I stumbled in my front door dragging my suitcase stuffed full of old clothes, all weighed down with sweat, blood, dirt and cement. Clothes I wish I could have donated. I don't know why I didn't.

My mom greeted me and flooded me with questions. Maybe my body was still in shock from the concept of air conditioning, but I didn’t hear a word she was saying. Totally numb, I collapsed on the couch. A tall glass of ice water was rushed to my hand and more questions to my ears, this time about dehydration symptoms or something.

I stared at my hand. I stared at the ice in the water. I remembered the families. The stories. The dump. And I broke down.

Nicaragua

Just a few short weeks ago, I was blessed to have the opportunity to travel with University Christian Church on a mission to Nicaragua. After hearing a testimony about Project Chacocente, a program devoted to relocating families forced to live in the garbage dump in Managua, my close friend Katie was called by God to organize the mission. I was called by God to go with her. I had no idea how I was going to help, but I never say ‘No’ to God.

“You will be his witness to all people of what you have seen and heard.” - Acts 22:15

I can’t possibly begin to write down everything I experienced inwardly from the moment we landed in Nicaragua. For one thing, it’s simply too much and my relationship with God is very personal. I know that others won’t get the same message that I did in my spirit. That being said, I understand that it’s my responsibility and in many cases my pleasure to share my testimony.

What I Brought Home

I left without knowing what to expect. I returned with the knowledge to expect nothing.

Everything is a blessing. I have a home. Electricity. Air conditioning. A room. A bed. Clothes. Things. Food. Clean water. I made friends that have nearly none of these things, and yet are happier than I am most days. I used to take it all for granted.

These are the things I’ve learned from God, from my new friends at UCC, and my new family in Nicaragua during my week long stay:

- Give what you can, when you can.
- Sometimes the best support comes from less skilled hands.
- It’s not just about what you leave behind, but what you take with you.
- Look to God and you will find strength you never knew you had.

“We go there to build buildings, but we end up building relationships.”

As saddening and eye-opening our time away from home was, I have to admit, it was a lot of fun. The locals, especially the families of Project Chacocente were all so friendly, it was hard not to smile even while we were working. Especially when an eighty-something year old man is making you look like a pansy, shoveling dirt like a wrinkly, Latin-American bulldozer.

Lives were changed on both ends, but God's work in Nicaragua isn't done yet.

If I am called, I will go back.

Dios te Bendiga.


P.S. I’m sorry this post wasn’t funnier. I’ll make up for it with a funny post and funny drawings and other funny stuff soon. Still, I hope this was good in some other way.

Links: Get a better idea of what the mission was like.

Katie’s blog: http://runningtothewell.blogspot.com/

Pictures from the trip: http://www.facebook.com/pages/University-Christian-Church-Nicaragua-Mission-Pilgrimage/175128449219833

Project Chacocente’s website: http://www.outofthedump.org/v3/

Maybe you'll feel called to help out in some way. I wouldn't put it past God.

-sam

No comments: